- 2015 marks the 25th Anniversary of the Passing Into Eternal Life of Bishop Demetrius Greschuk (July 8, 1990). In consultation with the Greschuk family, a Memorial Divine Liturgy will be held at 6:00 pm, Wednesday, September 9, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral. Clergy, religious, monastics and lay faithful are most welcome to attend. Reception to follow at Saint Josaphat Cathedral Hall (Verkhovyna).Bishop Greschuk was the Second Bishop of the Eparchy of Edmonton, serving from 1974-1990, first in the capacity of Auxiliary Bishop, then Apostolic Administrator, and finally Eparchial Bishop.
- The World Meeting of Families will take place from September 22-25, followed by a Papal Visit of Pope Francis from September 26-27, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The theme of the World Meeting of Families is “Love is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive.” Called together from all over the world in faithful celebration of the family, the sanctuary of love and life.
The World Meeting of Families and Papal Visit are open to all faithful interested in participating. For additional information, visit www.worldmeeting2015.org.
- 2015 Presbyteral Council meetings – October 5 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery Office).
- 2015 Clergy Conferences – October 9 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm).
- 2015 World Tourism Day will take place on September 27. This year’s message published, by the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples, is entitled, “One billion tourists, one billion opportunities”.
- 2015 Annual Clergy Study Days – October 5-8 (Providence Centre, Edmonton) with Very Rev. Peter Galadza, Professor, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute (Ottawa) on “Byzantine Funeral Rites: History and Theology.”
- The 89th World Mission Day will be held on Sunday, October 18. This year the Day will take place in the context of the Year of Consecrated Life and will therefore highlight the bond between faith and mission.
- Pope Francis authorised the Congregation for the Causes of Saints to promulgate a decree regarding the heroic virtues of the Servant of God Andrey Sheptytsky, Metropolitan of Halyč (1865-1944).
For further information, see the Statement from the Metropolitan Sheptytsky Institute, Ottawa, regarding Pope Francis’ recognition of Metropolitan Andrey’s heroic virtues.
See also, Rev. Dr. Athanasius’ McVay’s Interview: Venerable Andrey Sheptytsky, a spiritual leader for his people
- The Commission for Christian Unity, Religious Relations with the Jews, and Interfaith Dialogue, Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, developed a pastoral resource to help Canadian Catholics better understand their Muslim neighbours entitled Catholics and Muslims in Canada: Believers and Citizens in Society. The resource will be made available in later July through CCCB Publications in booklet form. The resource was developed with contributions by Eastern Catholic scholars and has been revised by the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue.
To help situate the resource within the Canadian context, CCCB President, Most Reverend Paul-André Durocher, has written a letter to accompany Catholics and Muslims in Canada.
- World Meeting of Families Prayer: Join together with families from around the world in prayer. Pray the World Meeting of Families Prayer each day with your family for the success of the event and for your family’s personal intentions:
God and Father of us all,
in Jesus, your Son and our Savior,
you have made us
your sons and daughters
in the family of the Church.May your grace and love
help our families
in every part of the world
be united to one another
in fidelity to the Gospel.May the example of the Holy Family,
with the aid of your Holy Spirit,
guide all families, especially those most troubled,
to be homes of communion and prayer
and to always seek your truth and live in your love.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pray for us!
© 2015 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330
Source: Edmonton Eparchy