- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal Collection “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on Sunday, December 2. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being. And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta.
Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.
With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, Thursday, December 27, 10:30 am Divine Liturgy at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, Edmonton (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children. Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.
- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2018 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2018.
- Parishes and organizations are once again invited to share the joyous news of Our Lord’s Birth with Bishop David with the age-old custom of Christmas Carolling. Please contact the Pastoral Centre to schedule a time on Tuesday, January 22 (5:00 pm – 7:00 pm).
- Christmas Caroling with the Seminarians of Holy Spirit Seminary. If you would like to have the seminarians of Holy Spirit Seminary come and carol at your home, please contact the Seminary and ask for Ivan Simko at (587) 460-6031). Available dates: January 6-27, 2019.
- The annual Week of Prayer for Christian Unity will take place from January 18-25, 2019. An Ecumenical Prayer Service will be held at 7:00 pm, Sunday, January 20 at Saint John Bosco Roman Catholic Church (13503 – 40 Street, Edmonton), with the participation of Bishop David and other ecumenical leaders.
The theme for this year’s Week of Prayer is: “Justice and Only Justice You Shall Pursue” which is based on Deuteronomy 16.18-20. Materials for this year’s Week of Prayer are produced by and will have a specific focus on the ecumenical situation in Indonesia.
Resources for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity and throughout the year 2019 were jointly prepared and published by the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity and the Commission on Faith and Order of the World Council of Churches.
Local resources for Canada can be accessed on the website of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity: https://www.weekofprayer.ca/2019-wpcu-resources
International resources produced by the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity and the Commission on Faith and Order of the World Council of Churches are accessible through the following link: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/sub-index/index_weeks-prayer.htm
- 2019 Presbyteral Council Meetings: (2:00 – 5:00 pm, Pastoral Centre): March 18, May 13, October 28.
- 2019 Clergy Conferences: (10:00 am – 4:00 pm): March 19 (Saint Basil Parish, Edmonton), May 14, November 1.
- 2019 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 10-14 (Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline).
- 2019 Annual Clergy Study Days: October 28-31 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton).
- The Office for Evangelization and Catechesis, Canadian Conference of Cathoic Bishops, has developed a “best practices” resource to assist those who work in evangelization and catechesis with adults to plan processes and programs. These best practices are supported by links to On Good Soil: Pastoral Planning for Evangelization and Catechesis with Adults, a major project by the Commission several years ago and is posted on the CCCB website.The new resource can be accessed here and is also available on the CCCB website.
- The Canadian Catholic Bioethics Institute (CCBI) produces videos entitled Catholic Bioethics Moments. The videos examine various topics such as ethical issues at the end of life and matters of conscience. These videos may be of interest to anyone wishing to learn more about the Church’s teaching on conscience and moral decision-making as part of a lived faith.
To view all the series, please visit the CCBI’s YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJayUwvsooWIGxJ2bdh3UAA/featured?spfreload=5.
- Earlier this year, the Alberta/NWT Catholic Bishops sat down for an interview and conversation with Lorraine Turchansky, Chief Communications Officer, Archdiocse of Edmonton, for a Bishops’ Roundtable. The first of four separate episodes, “What Keeps a Catholic Bishop Up at Night?” was posted earlier on Grandin Media Youtube channel at: https://youtu.be/5lvRDn_F1V0.
The second episode, “Should Bishops be Political,” is now available at: https://youtu.be/MxXs0bZUu4U
- Follow the link to an article covering recent events in the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta:
“Remembrance Day 2018 at Saint Josaphat Cathedral,” by Lidia Wasylyn, Saint Josaphat Catededral.
Bishop David, the entire Chancery staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a joyous celebration of the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and prayerful best wishes for the New Year.
© 2018 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330